What’s At Stake for Aspiring Immigrants in the Construction Industry?

Are you one of the many aspirants who plan to move to a new place and start a new journey particularly in Australia? However, this was temporarily put on hold because of the pandemic travel restrictions? Or are you one of the many who are stuck in the moment and are mystified about your next move because your Visa will expire anytime soon? Do not worry too much, we have collated some tips to help you ease away the burden and worries that you feel as of the moment.

Here are some helpful tips for the following Visa holders:

457 visa reforms

The Australian Federal Government recently announced changes to the 457 visa system, a move which Master Builders Australia believes will make it easier for contractors to work with eligible 457 visa holders.

The 457 visa enables non-Australians to work for an employer for up to four years. By amending the rules, the Government has essentially removed certain obstacles for construction companies that are seeking builders with specific skills.

189 Visas

The 189 visa is awarded via a points-based system and as a member of the construction industry, a candidate would normally qualify. Points are awarded on qualifications, experience, age, English language and other factors.

An 189 Visa allows a person permanent residency, medicare, social security, free education, and ability to purchase property freely. It is also not linked to one employer. Often with a 457 visa, people are forced to leave Australia if the job ends for whatever reason as the visa is terminated at that point and a person will have three months to leave or find a new sponsor which is not easy when you are under pressure.

The 189 visa provides stability, security, and additional advantages over the 457 visa but does cost a little more. The return is more than worth the price difference, especially if you have a family.

Now, for those who are still aspiring to cross boarders but are in doubt of what’s next and what lies ahead once they stepped in Australia, here are some helpful FAQs that will help enlighten your decision making:

Should I apply for Student Visa even if the boarders are still closed?

Granting of offshore student visas, where all requirements are met, will provide certainty for international students and the reassurance that you will be able to enter Australia when health advice allows and travel restrictions are relaxed. You can apply through normal online channels.

If I have an approved but about-to-expire Visa, will I be able to travel to Australia once borders open?

Students will be able to travel to Australia as long as they hold a valid visa. For current students who are already boarded but are still puzzled of their next move, the following might help you out:

Can I extend my student visa if I haven’t finished my course?

Visas cannot be ‘extended’ beyond their initial expiry date. So if you need to remain in Australia to complete your course, you should apply for a new student visa if your course duration has been extended due to a valid reason. Please see the renewing your student visa page for more information.

What do I do if I’m finishing my course but want to stay in Australia?

Graduates affected by COVID-19 travel restrictions may be able to apply for and be granted a Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa outside Australia (where they have met all the requirements). Find out more on the Department of Home Affairs website.

A lot of things including current plans might be uncertain for now; but hang in there, there might be delays with your plans but everything will soon fall into places once this pandemic crisis is over. Keep moving and grab every opportunity that comes along the way!  Do it with passion and everything else will come closer to what you have been dreaming of!

Like this article ? Share it !

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing to browse on this website, you agree to our Terms and Conditions.